5/10/05

Does God "hate the sin, love the sinner?"

So the pastor who is leading my trip to Romania asked me this question, "Does God hate the sin and love the sinner?" Here was my response to him. Let me know what you think. It's not fully developed.

Now, about hating the sin and loving the sinner... I've only ever heard that used in application to man. Obviously, none of us is just in the hatred of another sinner. However, when talking about God... I'm not sure. My initial answer was "yes." But then I got to thinking about Sodom and Gomorrah, God's coming wrath and judgment... so I decided to do a little Biblical reseach. I do not want to use any commentaries, but be lead to the Truth by the Holy Spirit. I'll try not to write a novel, but here it goes-
Using my computer's Bible study software, I did a word search on "hate." It came up in the ESV 91 times. Most of those were in Psalms and Proverbs. Most were David saying that he hates evil. There were many about those who hate the righteous, and more about those who hate the Lord. Then I read Psalm 5:5 "The boastful shall not stand before your eyes;you hate all evildoers." This is when I wish I could understand Hebrew and research the grammar and context.
Then I looked at Jesus. Jesus did not hate those who sinned against Him. In fact He loved them so much that He died for them. Luke 6:27 Jesus said "Love your enemies..." If God loves those who, through sin, rebel against Him and hate Him, then so should we.
I guess it comes down to us, sinners, hating and rebelling against God.
My final answer is yes, God hates sin, and loves sinners. He loves us so much that He sent His Son. However, for those who do not turn to Him in repentance, there is wrath. For how do we love God? We obey His commandments. I believe that God's wrath and judgement is even an act of love.
Wow... this is getting deep. I better end this now. This all makes sense in my head so maybe you can understand where I'm trying to go with it. I would love to start talking about limited atonement and God's glorification through the damnation of some and how that plays into all this... I keep going in circles. I'm ending this now.
Sorry for the novel,
Chelsea

No comments: