4/14/08

She's a Willing, Eager, Delightful Worker.

Proverbs 31:13

"She seeks wool and flax
and works with willing hands."
-English Standard Version

Work she does. As previously mentioned, this women is worked to the bone. We can all relate to this. Each of us at some point in our lives have experienced hard work. Most of the time, though, we do it while complaining. We tell our friends and families how hard it is so we can get a little sympathy. We need that pep talk from Mom, Dad, Grandma, and Friend.

Usually, my work is not done "eagerly" or "with delight." I do it because I have to do it. If I want to get a job, I need a degree. If I want a degree, I need to do homework. If I want to pay bills, I need a job. We work to help "support" our families. Working out of what we view as necessity can quickly become drudgery.

How silly of us to think that we provide for ourselves. God gives us the opportunity for education. God provides the means. God gives us the mind to comprehend the material. God ordains the interview. God allows us to have favor and get a job. God does these things, not because we deserve it, but because He's merciful and shows us grace.

What if the necessity for work was the urgency for Jesus to be proclaimed? What if we saw work as a ministry opportunity? What if we shared the Gospel instead of our complaints with our coworkers? What if we recognized it as a blessing from God? What if we worked to honor Him? What if we stopped caring about impressing our bosses and getting raises or good grades? What if we simply worked for the joy of the Lord and trusted Him as our provider?

Oh, the difference perspective can make.

No comments: