2/18/11

C25K

Couch-to-5K is a running program for non-runners and couch potatoes.  I am about as non-runner as it gets.  I'll do any workout video you throw in front of me.  I'll walk the dog for an hour.  I'll even hop on an eliptical for 30 minutes if I must.  Just please, please don't push me outside and make me run.  Please?

It seems that so far this semester, my life has been about doing things I hate to do because they are good for me.  I often fall on my face, but I'm learning how to fail, and how to get back up and try again.  This is just another one of those things.

I've been interested in doing C25K for a long time.  I first heard about it a last year when we were new to St. Louis.  One of our pastors, Noah, was beginning the program and regularly posting his progress.  More recently, my friends Keli and Courtney (both non-runners) have turned into genuine running princesses, which sparked my interest even more.

The way it works is you download the app for your iPod or iPhone, choose the music you want to hear while you run, and then a little guy comes on telling you in intervals when to run and walk.  Today I completed Week 1, Day 1.  I couldn't do all the things the guy kept telling me to do.  Several times I ignored him when he told me to start running again.  It sucked.  Big time.  I never want to do it again, and it was only day ONE.  Running is so not for me... but I'll keep trying, anyway.

When it was over, I mentally felt like this.  A little fuzzy, but strong.

IMG_7600

Physically, I felt like Watson.  He, too, was exhausted, dirty, and panting.

IMG_7606

I'm not going to make any declarations.  I'm not going to promise that I'll finish this thing.  I can only promise that I'll keep striving toward healthier living, and I'll definitely fail along the way.

p.s.  I haven't quit Weight Watchers.  I haven't counted points for the last couple weeks because I've been so overwhelmed with school.  Hopefully now I'm adjusting to the work a little more, so I'll start seeing those numbers go down again.  Praying for more motivation and self-discipline, which I lack in just about all areas of my life.

3 comments:

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

I have tried that program a few times in the past few months but haven't been able to stick with it. I really want to pick it up again because so many people have success with it! Maybe next week...

Keli B. said...

you go girl! keep up the good work! feel free to ask me any questions. like, you know, if it's normal to feel like you're actually going to die after just the warm up. (it is normal to feel that, by the way). i'm proud of you!

Courtney said...

YOU, YOU, YOU are amazing. I'm glad you consider me a friend seeing as we haven't even met in person yet! Let's fix that sometime when you life slows down :)

Always feel free to give me a shout..I would totally run with you ( I don't move very fast)