8/27/08

Just for fun

So often I think to myself about all the wonderful things I would love to do if I I had time to do things "just for fun."

This is scrapbooking week on Martha Stewart. When I came home for lunch, I tuned in. It makes me wish I had the time (and the money) to give to such a hobby! I need another Judy, who has every scrapbook tool known to woman. All I ever had to bring was paper and pictures. She has everything else! Judy- if we make a trip to Champaign this fall, I'm bringing the book I started a your house 3 years ago!

I started making this quilt about a year ago. I really want to finish it. Part of the problem is that I don't know how to do the backing. I am going to have to differ to an expert quilt-maker in my church. She makes amazing stuff, and will probably laugh and my messy hand stitching! Oh, well. It is made with lots of love! (It is much further along than this now, and we have a much prettier couch!



3 years ago, I did an oil painting for Kyle for Christmas. He loves Lewis Carrol's novel, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and Through the Looking Glass, and other Carroll Nonsense Literature (hence, his blog theme, which he never uses anymore). The painting was a scene from Alice. It was my first oil painting. It made me want to do more, but it is such an expensive hobby!

I would also really like to knit something of substance, not just a scarf! I, however, am not good with reading directions. I need someone to show me how to do a new stitch. Kyle's mom can show me how to do all the stitches, and she can make just about anything! Unfortunately, I also have no time to make a whole sweater, or even a pair of socks :( Scarves are easy, and don't require much thought or time. This is my most recent scarf project. Hopefully it will be done before scarf season arrives.

I also have an interest in taking great pictures. I have so many friends who are great photographers. I would love to have a nice camera. Again, so expensive!

Blogging is probably my favorite thing to do just for fun. I almost always make time for "Across the Brandywine!" You all make it great.

2 comments:

Chase Abner said...

I would gladly accept a hand-knitted Gryffindor scarf.

Shannon Leigh Anderson said...

ahh... we have so many of the same hobbys. Isn't it sad how they get lost in daily life?? Sometimes I wish I could get paid to be creative. (I have finished one full quilt and the backing was probably the hardest part. I had A LOT of help from my mom).
Good luck with all of those projects. I will be rooting for you!