8/9/08

The Greatest Celebration

I've never seen anything like it. It was positively breathtaking, spectacular, beyond comprehension. It was artistic and delicate, and also a great display of power and strength. I'm speaking about last night's opening ceremonies in Beijing for the 2008 Olympic Games.

Each moment of the artistic portion was executed with unbelievable precision. The crowd erupted with joyful cries. My own heart swelled at the beauty of it all. Yet I know that what I saw last night was nothing compared to what I will see someday.

90,000 people in a stadium with limited knowledge and technology will pale in comparison to seeing "every knee... bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."(Phil. 2:10)

If you belong to Christ, you will, eternally, cry out his praises. We will see the new Jerusalem which has "the glory of God, its radiance like a most rare jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal." (Rev. 21:11) The sight of Jesus will be more amazing than we can possibly imagine.

If you get a chance to watch last night's opening ceremonies (I'm hoping they will eventually post video on NBC.com) I would recommend it. I can almost guarantee you've never seen a performance or celebration like it. However, the celebration that we will have with our Creator will make last night look cheap.

See some great pictures here.

Update: Found full video here.

1 comment:

Katie @ Heart Gone Walking said...

What an amazing thought! Way too often, I get caught up in life and don't sit back and think about how amazing heaven will be. Good reminder.