7/16/05

These plains are pleasant

It's going to be LONG day.  I am at the bank this morning in Pleasant Plains (about 30 minutes outside of Springfield).  It is SOOOOO SLLLOOOOWWW here.  I've been here an hour and a half with no customers.  That makes for a long morning.  Pleasant Plains in an... interesting town.  Population= 777.  The town is 1.2 square miles.  The bank is an old building that sits surrounded by houses.  This is what they call their "business district."  How this is a district, I do not know.  One building. One business.  No joke. 
Despite the size of the town, I still managed to get lost coming here (thanks, Yahoo Maps!).  Are you surprised?  You shouldn't be.  If you know me much at all, you probably know that I have this incredible ability to get lost everywhere I go.
I like it here, though.  A bunch of good ole boys cruising around in old pick up trucks.  "The Reverend" came in to the bank, bringing in change from Vacation Bible School.  The grass seems greener.  The air feels cleaner.  The birds chirp louder.  There is so much peace.  The Germans were right when they said these plains are pleasant. 
As soon as I leave here, I am headed right back to Springfield for my ex-step-brother's wedding.  It's going to be strange.  I will see my ex-step-dad for the first time in five years.  When he and my mom divorced, it ended badly.  In drunken rages, suicide notes, and a restraining order, in fact.  I've heard he's doing better now.  I guess I'll find out in a few hours.  I'm not sure how I feel about it.  I guess I just feel sad that it all happened.  He was such a huge part of my life for so long, and then he was just gone.  There were no goodbye's.  When I see him, I don't know if I'll want to cry, or hug him, or run away.  I do know I want to tell him about Jesus.  Somehow.

No comments: