1/20/08

Words Mean Something

The idea that each word has a weight of its own, a meaning, has been the recurring theme in my communication disorder classes. Sometimes I give great consideration to my own words and the words of others. Other times, I speak and listen with little thought. The following words, which I first heard several years ago, have meant something to me. Each time I hear them, they speak a particular truth about my life, about all of us. Today, they have echoed in my ears.
In the economy of mercy
I am a poor and begging man
The currency of Grace
is where my song begins
In the colors of Your goodness
in the scars that mark Your skin
In the currency of Grace
is where my song begins

Their original context is the song "Economy of Mercy" by Switchfoot. On their own, they are extremely poetic. In the context of the song, I like them even more. The title words strike me most. I know not how to give more weight to words which, in my mind, are already so heavy. I can only say that I have no currency but the grace of God. For that, I praise the Lord above.

No comments: