2/3/09

Old Music Tuesday: Billy Idol

My earliest music memory is of Billy Idol. My dad had a sweet sound system. He had huge speakers in the house and my parents loved to listen to music and crank it up. We lived in the country, with no neighbors for miles, so why not?

Three Billy Idol songs made my list.

1. Rebel Yell- the first song I can remember.
My parents had this album and I have one memory of this song playing loudly while I danced around the living room. I was about 2 years old. My parents caught this on home video, which is probably why I've been able to retain the memory of it.

2. White Wedding- two memories from different times.
The first memory of this song is a Sunday afternoon when I couldn't have much older than 3. My parents often took me to Sunday school and dropped me off. They picked me up after Sunday school was over. I remember walking into our house after my dad picked me up, my mom in her pink terry cloth bathrobe fixing breakfast, and this song playing on the stereo.
The second memory of this song comes from watching The Wedding Singer repeatedly. I think there was a period in 8th grade where I literally watched this movie every day. My best friend, Morrisa, and I were obsessed.

3. Mony Mony- again, more than one memory, but it's a little fuzzy.
I'm pretty sure Mom worked with a girl named Mony. I seem to remember thinking about her when I would sing along with this song.
Also, I think I've heard this song at almost every dance or wedding I've ever attended. When my Uncle Andy and Aunt Callie got married (I was 12) I seem to remember my aunt and her friends doing their version of the Mony Mony chant, and I'm pretty sure they used a curse word in their version. I could not understand them, however, and I asked my grandma what they were saying. She told me it was a cheer for their high school mascot. I don't think she was right.

2 comments:

Chase Abner said...

This is a fun idea. I look forward to reading each week (or most weeks).

I share your Wedding Singer obsession, by the way, but I was afraid of Billy Idol for most of my childhood.

And as DJ for John & Emily's wedding, I can affirm that "Mony Mony" didn't make the playlist at at least one wedding that you've attended.

Shannon Leigh Anderson said...

I have a few really fond memories of dancing around my cousins living room in t-shirts and underwear to "Dancing on the Ceiling" by Lionel Richie and "Walking on Broken Glass" by Annie Lennox. I distinctly remember making up dances to "Let's Hear it for the Boy" as well.
I don't remember Billy Idol until much later though...